This silent film unit is great for cross-curricular connections between music, theater/drama, and English Language Arts! Throughout the unit, students will learn about the history of silent films, go on a found sound “scavenger hunt”, write their own scripts, compose a soundtrack, receive and provide peer feedback, perform their silent films, and write a reflection at the end.
This product includes:
- Teacher notes with pacing suggestions
- Differentiated reading passages (approx. 5th grade and 8th grade reading levels) x2
- Found sound scavenger hunt, brainstorm, and planner
- Character planner
- Scene planners
- Soundtrack planner
- Soundtrack composition pages
- Presentation expectations
- Self-graded, peer review, and final (teacher) rubrics – filled in and blank templates
- Reflections x2
Please note that explicit lesson plans are not included, but a guide is provided to help break down the pacing of the unit.
This unit provides everything you need for an estimated 5-6 hours of class time. Feel free to eliminate, shorten, lengthen, or combine activities in a way that meets your needs. Students will practice writing, composing, editing, performing, and reflecting all while having a ton of fun!